Tuesday 18 June 2013

The BIG reveal

So we had told our parents, the next step was to speak to the school about how we could handle it and what they were willing to do.  We got a similar result to speaking to our parents not the shocked 'what?!' that we received from Mum, but they told us that they would support us as best as they can for the duration of our school years.  Speaking to the school was relatively easy, the most nerve-wraking thing for me still to come was speaking to our friends...

We have spent ALOT of time with the school counsellor, Dean, since I became pregnant, and he has been one of the most helpful people throughout this entire time.  We discussed with him what the best approach to telling our peers would be.  Being 16 at school, we knew that anything we said to anybody would inevitably be spread to the majority of our year level by the end of the week.. and we wanted to avoid a 'chinese whispers' situation where the story got messed up as it was passed along the chain.  In the end we all decided the best approach was for Dean to hold a meeting with all the year 10 students and explain to everyone what the situation was, so that there was a minimal margin for variation on the story.

The day of the meeting arrived and we had both decided to tell one friend each just before the meeting. So we met up with them and headed to the health centre, with me attempting not to hyperventilate... Once again, I couldn't even say anything and will had to tell them.  I can still remember the action of my then best friend, the first thing she said was 'so?' meaning it hadn't changed her opinion of me one bit.  This was relieving.

So Will and I headed home for last period because we thought it would be best to avoid the wondering stares and million questions that would be waiting for us.  Dean had told everyone in the meeting to give us all space for the night and not to contact us wanting to know information.  But later that night I was regretting that because I didn't hear a thing from anyone that night and Will's friends messaged him regardless, which only made me more worried..

No comments:

Post a Comment