Thursday 27 June 2013

Am I Normal?

What is normal?

Now that is the $64 000 question.  For me, nowadays, normal is about 6 hours of sleep a night, followed by school at 8.45 every morning, then home to look after Jordan, do odd jobs, and sleep.  In amongst all that I also have to try and figure out and balance friendships... For others in my year level at school, normal mostly involves school everyday, followed by homework and a relaxing weekend.  For mum and dad, normal consists of getting my sisters and I ready for school and either babysitting Jordy all day or working.

A year ago, my normal was completely different.  Normal was receiving academic honours and having ambitions to become a kick-ass lawyer.  Now I am down to almost a half-load of subjects and I struggle to complete my homework.  All throughout the first half of this year I have fought a battle in my head regarding my inability to cope with a regular workload at school.  Sure there are others doing reduced programs too, but most of my friends manage six classes, they are all jealous of my three spares, but I am jealous of their normality.

The fact of the matter is I can't cope with a 'normal' load anymore.  Because I am not what society calls normal.  This could lead into a whole new issue of society's influence on our everyday lives, but that is a track I might follow in the future.  For the rest of society, it is normal to go to school and muck around with mates in spare time.  For me it is not.  I am different.  Not just because of Jordan.

For the entirety of primary school I was subject to the name 'ranga-belle' because of my red hair... For years I absolutely despised my curly auburn hair, but now I have cherry red locks that I am proud of! That is one, fairly superficial example, but it helps to prove a principle, it is okay to be different.

What is normal?
It's a trick question, there are about 7 billion different types of normal, one for every person on the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment